Thursday, April 3, 2025
62.2 F
New York

Trump Nominates Bryan Bedford, Longtime Airlines Executive, to Lead FAA

Bryan Bedford, a longtime airline industry executive, was tapped by President Trump on Monday to serve as the administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration.

Since 1999, Mr. Bedford has been the president and chief executive at Republic Airway, which operates flights for the three largest U.S. airlines. In a statement on Truth Social, Mr. Trump praised Mr. Bradford’s experience in aviation and executive leadership.

“Bryan will work with our GREAT Secretary of Transportation, Sean Duffy, to strongly reform the Agency, safeguard our exports, and ensure the safety of nearly one billion annual passenger movements,” Mr. Trump wrote.

The F.A.A. has been without a confirmed leader since Mr. Trump took office. Mike Whitaker, the agency’s previous administrator, resigned from his post on Jan. 20, a little more than a year into his five-year term. Chris Rocheleau is the aviation safety agency’s acting administrator.

If confirmed, Mr. Bedford would take the helm at an F.A.A. still reeling from one of the deadliest U.S. commercial plane crashes since 2009. On Jan. 29, an American Airlines flight and an Army Black Hawk helicopter collided near Washington’s Ronald Reagan National Airport, killing 67 people.

Mr. Bedford would also have a host of pressing concerns that have caught the attention of Mr. Trump and Sean Duffy, the secretary of the Transportation Department, which oversees the F.A.A. Those include addressing the air traffic controller shortage and upgrading the outdated systems they use to do their jobs.

Mr. Bedford’s appointment was welcomed within the industry.

“Having worked with Bryan Bedford for two decades, I have total confidence in his ability to lead the F.A.A. at this critical time,” Scott Kirby, the chief executive of United Airlines, which holds a 19 percent stake in Republic, said in a statement.

Under Mr. Bedford’s leadership, Republic grew from a carrier with under $90 million in revenue in 1999 to one with more than $1.2 billion in 2016, when it filed for bankruptcy after struggling to recruit pilots and adapt to industry changes. The airline exited bankruptcy the following year as a private company, though it had been rumored to be considering a return to the public markets several years ago.

Last year, Republic carried more than 19 million passengers on flights operated for American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, and United, according to federal data. American holds a 25 percent stake in Republic.

“He intimately understands the importance of a strong working relationship between the F.A.A. and air space operators of all sizes,” Nick Calio, chief executive of the trade group Airlines for American, said in a statement.

Hot this week

Chris Pappas Jumps Into 2026 Senate Race in New Hampshire

Representative Chris Pappas, a fourth-term New Hampshire Democrat, announced...

FDA Layoffs Could Raise Drug Costs and Erode Food Safety

Health Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. announced wide-ranging cutbacks...

Trump’s De Minimis Order Could Raise Costs on Clothes and Goods From China

President Trump on Wednesday ordered the closure of a...

After Meeting With Laura Loomer, Trump Fires National Security Council Officials

President Trump fired at least three senior National Security...

Trump Administration Threatens to Withhold Funds From Public Schools

The Trump administration threatened on Thursday to withhold federal...

Related Articles